Friday 25 November 2011

CODE RED AGAINST RAPE: 16 Days of Activism 2011 March in Harare by Donna-Ray Campbell


Today I got a phone call saying all roads lead to town house and without wasting anytime I headed straight there. When I arrived I discovered that the focus of this  years’ 16 Days of Activism Against Gender based violence was focusing on Rape of women and children.  At town House I found myself amongst women from of all ages, classes and ethnic groups all wearing T-Shits that read, “CODE RED AGAINST RAPE”.  These women were getting ready to march through the streets of Harare and were organised by a group called, ‘The Katswe Sisterhood’. 

There were women who had been raped amongst the group, the ladies were so passionate and eager to bring change that i was moved to join the march after all I am a woman and i am not ‘immune’ to the possibility of being raped.  It was amazing being amongst the women as they sang and danced in celebration of taking a stand against rape.  I was humbled and honoured to be a part of the experience as you never really understand the damage of rape until you see a woman urging you to sing with her as she know the scars that this atrocity has left embedded in her memory and the palm prints it has left on her soul.

Photography provided by E:thos photography by Rudo Nyangulu 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails